1. Such a pleasure to have you on here for the AV mix series! For those who don’t know DJ Honey, could you tell us a little about yourself and how you got started with this soulful avenue that you have embarked on?
2. How did you approach this mix? Was there a particular context to share with your listeners?
This mix is one hour of Hard Bop and Soul jazz, featuring predominantly female jazz artists and was recorded entirely with original pressing 7”s, except for Usha Iyer’s 1969 album only version of “Fever”. We usually hear a lot about the ubiquitous greats - Ella, Billie, Sarah and Dinah - but there were so many more women of jazz from that era, and I always aim to highlight those in my mixes and radio shows.
3. You’ve been consistently churning out mix after mix through Kiss! Kiss! Bang! Bang! & Girls In The Groove. Could you tell us a bit more about these?
Kiss! Kiss! Bang! Bang! started on 4ZZZ FM in Brisbane, Australia, in 2016 and has since transitioned to Mixcloud, while Girls In The Groove has broadcast on London’s Soho Radio since 2018. I’d been DJing for a few years and both radio shows developed from my frustrations of not seeing women receive the recognition we deserve within the male-dominated music industry. The shows are vinyl only and focus on the hip shakers and rule breakers of the 50s, 60s and 70s - female artists whose music and actions broke down barriers and paved the way for future generations of music lovers.
4. What continues to draw you to the sound of this era?
The mid-century era was one of the most dynamic times of the 20th century. Art, fashion, architecture were all radically changing and evolving. People were protesting for peace and demanding equality through the civil rights and women’s liberation movements. Music was political, raucous, rebellious, expressive. All these aspects were a huge shift from the austerity of the first half of the century. The times truly were a’changing!
5. What’s next for you and anything you’d like to plug?
I have a livestream DJ set with the Forty Five Kings collective coming up in June. As the name suggests, we’ll be playing all vinyl 45s sets and I’m super looking forward to virtually playing alongside those guys. Follow me on social media @dj.honey.vinyl45s to watch out for that!
View behind-the-scenes content and exclusive mixes by supporting me via Patreon.
And, you can listen to my radio shows via my DJ Honey Mixcloud page, so make sure you follow me there too!
Thanks so much Analog Vault for inviting me to be a part of this series!