During the '60s and early '70s, Singapore had one of most vibrant and interesting music scenes in Asia and even the world, and this compilation presents undeniable proof of it. Focusing exclusively on the female presence on the scene (be it as solo singers, backed by other bands or as band leaders) 'Singapore Nuggets. The Ladies' presents such and amazing collection of songs many will be shocked by the sheer genius of these ladies. Ranging from naive pop to fuzzed out garage (and more!) all within the confines of pop yeh yeh, the fresh, colorful, local sound of '60s Singapore in which western influences, Chinese, Arabic and Indian sounds were mixed by the locals to create a wonderfully idiosyncratic style. A must!
1. Chew Yan & The Stylers - Mimi Cat
2. Lim Ling & Silvertones - Forget but Can-t Forget You
3. Grace Lee & The Stylers - Each and every flower
4. Violet Tang & Saints - You Are My Happiness
5. Rita Chao & Quests - The Boy Next Door
6. Sakura - Come On To My House
7. Naomi & The Boys - Bad Loser
1. Linda Yong & The Silvertones - Happy Lunar New Year
2. Patrina With Maurice Patton & Melodians - Lipstick On Your Collar
3. Liu Hui Yun - Luxury
4. Evey Lyn & The Siglap Five - Tell Me If It's True
5. Teresa Khoo & Her Five Notes - You Don't Know Baby
6. Doris Ang & The Sandboys - Yummy Yummy Yummy
7. Shang Guan Su Shen - Walking in the Sunshine
Label: Akenaton Records – Ak 03
Format: Vinyl, LP, Compilation
Genre: Rock, Pop
Style: Beat, Pop Rock
Hanging Up The Moon
For The Time Being is Hanging Up The Moon’s fifth release and first EP. The four tracks within were written shortly after their return from a trip which saw them performing in Japan and Taiwan.
Inspired by that experience as well as the warm friendships struck up along the way, the songs are uncharacteristically upbeat in their instrumentation. The lyrics however retain the wistfulness so signature of Hanging Up The Moon, touching on loss and resignation — a musical counterpart of the fleeting smile elicited by forgotten old photographs of treasured times.
For The Time Being is released by Big Romantic Records and features Skip Skip Ben Ben’s Lin Yiloh 林以樂, a friend made on the trip and a fellow musician under the label. - Bandcamp